Saturday, October 27, 2012

Decision made

Looking out over Jeju City from Sarabong.  I'm actually really proud of this one and think it's one of my best pictures.  What do you think?  Click on the picture to see a bigger version.

You may recall last week I was facing the rather important decision of what to do with my future.  This decision had immediate ramifications if I wanted to start a PhD program next year.  And I have reached at least a partial decision.

As both my parents and Vicky pointed out, if I'm not completely excited, fired up and thrilled to begin a PhD then now is probably not the right time to start one.  Given the time, work and career narrowing aspects of a doctorate degree, it is not something to be entered into lightly.  I certainly haven't ruled one out.  But I'm not going to frantically scramble to get the paperwork ready and spend anywhere from $500-1000 on it (GMAT fee, flight to Seoul to take the GMAT, and application fees add up fast) unless i am certain now is the right time for it.  Perhaps next year i'll feel differently.

For now I'm going to concentrate on enjoying my current experience in Korea with Vicky and start thinking about what to do when this year abroad ends.  Whenever that decision gets made (and it won't be for a while), i'll let you know.

On a lighter note, I got my new schedule for November and it is wonderful!!!!!!  My worst class is gone!  It was a phonics class that was filled with such beginners that I couldn't even give them instructions or discipline them.  Sunny agreed with me that they would be better off with a Korean teacher and changed them to another teacher.  And not only are they gone, I teach only 5 classes a day and have at least one break every day.  This last month i've been teaching about 6-7 a day.  I also get to go into work later while still leaving at the same time.  I did a celebration dance in the teachers lounge when i saw this schedule (it was the gangnam style dance for those of you who are curious).

So with a great new schedule in hand, I head into next month excited for the possibilities and looking forward to the holiday season to come.

Jeju City as the lights begin to come on

No comments:

Post a Comment