Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Good news. North Korea is easing back on the rhetoric

Don't forget, click these pictures if you want to make them larger.

First the good news.  After weeks of increasingly strident and ridiculous threats, North Korea seems to be backing off their tough talk.  Though they made some threats yesterday, they were much less shrill and absurd compared to their previous statements. That's good news for the Korean peninsula which has been on edge for the past month.

However, this should not be mistaken for the North suddenly deciding to be nice.  More likely, they won't say much for a while and then they will commit a provocation.  This will partially be to allow them to claim a victory on national tv and partially to remind the world they are still here and we should all give them food and money as a reward for being good (yes this is also the mentality of spoiled children).  This provocation will most likely take the form of a small military strike against the South.  When and where this might take place is anyones guess.

 Hopefully not here

 Or here

This possibility isn't something we need to worry about.  It almost certainly won't lead to a war and might not even happen at all.

On a more personal note, I recently decided to buy a very high quality but portable camera.  I've been getting more and more into photography and came to the conclusion that if I'm going to be visiting dozens of countries and taking once-in-a-lifetime trips I want to take the best possible pictures of them.  This is also why I've been reading extensively about photography.  And before my more sarcastic friends can comment, yes I know it's not helping but it can't hurt either (unless I drop the computer on my foot again while reading)

Messing around with macro-photography

Basically, I have a great time doing it and it helps us preserve our memories of all these adventures.  It's just one more reason that I really can't wait until our trip through Europe (as though we needed more reasons to be excited)!  I'll let you know once I get the camera and can start posting pictures taken with it.

 Hopefully they'll look like this except, you know, better!

Vicky and I are both doing well.  I've got about 2 1/2 months left on my contract and Vicky has about 3 1/2.  As the weather has turned nicer we've started walking home from school and getting out and exploring on weekends.  I can't even begin to explain how nice it is to go outside and feel comfortable again.  After being cooped up inside all winter, Spring is heavenly!  As a bonus, I get to see more people starting in shock when they see they foreigners walking around their island (since we're easier to recognize when less bundled up).

Now I just need to get Vicky to wear her cat onesy out to dinner again and this time I can take pictures of people's reactions to her.  :)

The little town we saw on our long walk on Saturday (I forgot to mention, we took a long countryside walk Saturday)

No comments:

Post a Comment